I've been taking temple prep class lately. It has been great. I hope to go on my birthday....I learned/remembered something new today. I should have known but didn't. I've heard of so many people talking about how Satan tries really hard right before big major events so I've tried to be on the lookout for things and be careful. What I forgot/should have known is that there are blessings associated with preparing to go to the temple...How silly of me to forget. I was so worried about warding off the negative that I forgot about the positive. So what is one of the blessings I'm noticing?? THAT I'VE BEEN GOING ON MORE DATES!! It seems to be raining men (do you know that song? "Its raining men! Hallelujah!")
Two weeks ago I went on a date with a guy named Brady Smith (what is it with me and guys named Brady and Brad? I've known some in high school and college). Also, its funny his last name is Smith. I've also liked a few of them... We had fun and went to the only good Mexican food place in the area. I really miss Utah because of all the good Mexican food. I feel like there were at least 2-3 good places per city (and a few crappy ones). Here? Just one good one and a 2-3 really bad ones. Anyways, I had a test the next day so we just wandered around the mall and tried on crazy hats/glasses/etc. Then we went to a jewelry store...weirded me out because somehow we ended up trying on wedding rings. Don't worry I'm not rushing into a wedding! Just weird that trying on stuff in the mall led to the jewelry store?
Last week I went out with Ken Ufford. He took me to a really nice, fancy restaurant. It is a wine bar so it is high class and nice. We had a reservation and everything. I felt a little like I was in the movies at a high priced place! But the sad thing is that fancy restaurants on a first date tend to cause me to clam up. I'm extra sensitive to etiquette and my surroundings and the fact that the guy is spending his life savings on me...etc. So what do I do? I shrink in a hole and have to work really hard to keep up my end of the conversation. Now you may be wondering how I know this...how many expensive first dates have I been on? I can think of at least three. So I recognize a pattern in my behavior and try and try to fight my awkward shyness. It was a weird ending to the date since he didn't walk me to the door. I think he was thrown off somehow or just doesn't like the door scene. I don't like the door step awkward goodbye hug thing so I created a solution. Which I employed with Brady, but couldn't with Ken so whatever. I invite the date in and get a drink of water and sit on the couch for a bit. Then say goodbye after a few minutes of chitchat. Makes it a whole lot less awkward. Because normally as you walk to the door, you know the date's ending and the doorstep scene is approaching.
This week I'm going out with Alex Cornwall. I've noticed him from afar. He seems solid and good. It's funny that he is friends with my friend Brianne, but she has a way of keeping her friends separate. The three of us never really hung out all together so I didn't really know him. But slowly (by accident) we spent some time together with Brianne. I think we kind of hit it off and were laughing and joking. But Brianne gets jealous, gets hurt very easily, holds grudges, and can be quite pessimistic. In fact, she hasn't really talked to me in about two months so I must have done something to upset her. It was funny because I mentioned to my roommate tonight that I had a small crush on Alex, but Brianne would kill me in my sleep if I went after him. Then he asked me out!
So far no second dates, but lots of firsts. And not just these guys have been paying attention. I don't know what to do since this is all so new and foreign to me! It is really nice and has helped me boost my self-confidence. I try not to ever let guys' opinions define my self-esteem but their attention helps a little.
