Knowing is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. Usually I weed out the bad ones with the preview, but this one looked not terrible. I wasn't really interested, but Tanya was. Lately, I had been making her watch movies I like so I wanted to watch one she was interested in. So Brent, Tanya, Davey, and I went to the dollar theater last night. I realized I wouldn't like it from the first moment that the girl who wrote out all of the numbers starts scratching more numbers into a door with her fingernails so that they become bloodied and possibly ripped out.
I realized that I don't like anything that makes inanimate objects creepy, terrifying, or evil. So horror movies creep me out and I don't watch them. When people are possessed in movies, they always do something weird with doors and walls. I hate that. Either some spirit comes out of walls, doors, or mirrors or the possessed person writes on the walls in their own blood, scratches messages into walls, or starts throwing themselves at walls. I think that's why I hate horror movies. And the fact that they are full of evil spirits and scare me to death. But I knew Knowing would be a weird movie the moment she scratched a message into the door.
Apparitions. Apparitions scare me. Horror movies with apparitions creep me out. I don't like them. So when the creepy man starts appearing more and more in Knowing, the greater my dislike of the movie increased. He appears at a distance, then calls the kid over and gives him a stone, then appears in his room, then kidnaps him, and finally turns into an alien. Really? Stupid movie. Oh yeah, the apparition opens his mouth and light appears and blinds Nicholas Cage. What on earth is going on?--my thoughts at that moment.
The movie was creepy (with the fingernail scene), intriguing (with the number sequence), gruesome (with all of the people on fire and getting hit by the derailed subway), scary (with the unknown apparitions all over the place) and stupid (with the two children being "chosen," the rabbits, the aliens, the alien spaceship, the frolicking in the meadow, and the tree).
I dislike end of the world movies. I suspected but didn't know this was one. I would have not watched it if I had known. Also, I hate weird alien movies where the alien lifeforms are superior in some way or if they are trying to take over the world. So E.T. creeped me out as a child but isn't too bad. Men in Black is funny with Will Smith and the aliens don't creep me out because they are in daylight and are just trying to coexist with humans. They aren't really trying to take over except as a war strategy issue or something. So this movie was out on two accounts. Ugh.
The tree. Terrible ending. Apparently the aliens were god figures because they got the little boy and little girl plus two rabbits and set them down in a meadow. The meadow was terrible CGI. They should have just set them in a real meadow. Much more plausible. Anyways the camera angle changes and BAM! the tree appears. What is that supposed to be? The tree of knowledge of good and evil? Really? My laughter became audible at that point. Tanya was outright laughing. It was a dumb movie, dumb ending. A guy on our row yelled, "The church is true." What is your response to movie like that supposed to be??? Anyways, I am disappointed in Nicholas Cage. Didn't he read the script before signing a contract? Oh and the world ends because the sun explodes and destroys the ozone and everyone dies. The end.