Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Annoyances

Lately, I have been analyzing the annoying people in my life. Why do they bother me so? Is it my fault or their fault? What can I do to get along with them better?

Person A: I think this person is stupid. Why do I feel this way? I'm sure he/she isn't but I feel like it. I have pinpointed one thing: when we are having a group discussion, you have to jump in with your comment. You just need to be heard. I understand that. But why oh why can't you talk about the topic at hand? Everyone pauses and looks at you confused. Then you feel great because everyone acknowledged you. For example, if everyone is talking about cashews and how they like or dislike them. How they like them prepared. How cashews are grown, etc. And then you interrupt and proclaim, "I love walnuts! Hehe" Everyone is very disturbed and confused. What did the conversation have to do with walnuts? Nothing. You just needed to speak. That's all. SO, maybe I will stop thinking that this person is stupid and recognize his/her problem and develop the ability to ignore him/her.

Person B: Superiority complex? I have always worked hard to curb my strong desire to act or be superior to everyone around me. I recognized a long time ago that acting that way was rude, inconsiderate, and hurtful. So why does this person have to point out everything that I do wrong, that I don't know, or how he/she is so much better than me at everything. So what? Will you just let me do what I have to do and let it alone?

Person C: Authority issues. This person is different from the previous person mentioned. This person is an authority figure in some aspects. He/she has taken it upon himself/herself to use the authority they possess to try to get to know me. You don't know me, you just feel obligated to stick your head into my business because you feel it is your duty somehow as an authority figure. Well sir/ma'am, I am doing just fine thank you. Please exit stage left and leave me alone.