Monday, February 9, 2009

The Sixth Sense

I watched The Sixth Sense for the first time last night. I know it has been out for a long time. I hate scary movies and was told that it was one so I never watched it. I couldn't remember the famous line from the movie, "I see dead people," until my sister mentioned it before we started the movie. After that, the movie was predictable from start to finish. Come on, people. The kid sees dead people and Bruce Willis gets shot in the opening scenes. Of course Bruce is going to die and the kid is the only one that can see him. I even exclaimed right after the scene with Bruce getting shot, "Oh my gosh. Bruce is dead and the kid can see him. That is pretty much the end of the movie." Tanya hates when I call movies and she was trying to make the movie more tricky for me, the first time viewer. She said, "No Becca. There is a lot more to it than you think." I watched the movie for what else there could be. Oh, Bruce needs to talk to his wife and say some things and help the kid before he can move on?? Aren't most ghost/dead people stories about people that can't move on until they have accomplished something? I mean, really?? So yes, I guess I didn't know the exact dialogue and other random tidbits that come with a movie and any conversation.

According to Tanya, I doubted my initial opinion that Bruce was dead the whole time. Um, no. What did the movie give me to doubt my initial assumption? Nothing. Whenever Bruce talked the kid he responded, but other people did not respond to Bruce. The kid's mom never acknowledged Bruce in the room. Therefore, she could not see him. The same with the wife. She is sad and upset. She loves Bruce and that is why she went to the restaurant to celebrate their anniversary. The kid explains that he sees dead people and they don't know that they are dead. Hello? That was where my opinion was confirmed. I was bored through the last half of the movie because everyone else was resolving the problem in my mind. It was the longest resolution to a movie that I have ever seen.

I was bored. I even said so to Tanya. I wanted to leave, but she would have been really mad. She told me that I doubted my exclamation and we kind of got into an argument over whether or not I believe my ideas through the whole movie. Yes, I did. Everything added up and then the kid spoke about seeing dead people and I was done. Movie over. What else was I supposed to doubt. I am confused. Tanya stated that no one got the movie when it came out to theaters and that I could not have known the plot to the movie because others did not know it. I can't change her mind so I am left to let her believe a lie. Whatever.

Movies with at twist or puzzle, like the Sixth Sense, usually give you all the puzzle pieces and you have to figure out the ending. That is why I like those movies. I want to put the pieces together myself. When they display the answer, I am either confirmed in my idea or rejected. Usually I am right on with the answer unless the movie makers have specifically left out a key piece of information that changes the answer. TV series are like this example. They never give you all the pieces in a way that the viewer can put all the pieces together themselves. They give you vital info at the conclusion along with the answer.